Free phone over internet using Google Hangouts
Make a call with Hangouts
You can make international and domestic phone calls using Hangouts.
Before you start
- Download the app: Download the Hangouts Dialer on Android devices. The Hangouts Dialer turns on calling in the Hangouts app. If you don’t have the latest version on Android devices, download the Hangouts app.
- Data connection: If you use your data connection to make a phone call, you’ll be using your mobile phone’s data plan. Contact your mobile carrier for details about your data coverage and cost. You’ll only be using your mobile plan’s minutes if you directly use your phone to make calls.
- Availability: Calling isn’t available from some countries, such as Mexico and Argentina. Learn more about where calling is available.
You’ll also need to sign up for a Google account, if you don’t already have one.
Make a phone call
- On your Android device, open the Hangouts Dialer app .
- Type the person’s name or phone number, and select them from the search results.
- To dial a number, at the bottom, tap Dialpad .
- Dial the phone number you’d like to call.
- Tap Call .
You can also start a phone call with someone during a Hangout chat conversation by tapping Call .
You won’t be able to use Hangouts as the default app for calling on your Android device, like when you start calls in Google Contacts. But you can choose to use the Hangouts Dialer when you tap a phone number on a website or other apps, like Google Search or Maps.
at Google help